Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Green Eggs and Ham for Breakfast

For almost a month now, I’ve been waiting for the opportunity to try out one of the green eggs and ham recipes I’ve downloaded from the internet. Of course, the recipes were all inspired by one of my most loved (and of the English-speaking world) children’s books of all time, Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss (real name: Theodor Seuss Geisel). Last weekend, I wasn’t to be denied.

I woke up early last July 12 to prepare for my family a wacky, in your face, out of this world breakfast food. Actually, it was already pass 7 a.m., but being a lazy Sunday morning and all, everyone was still having their forty winks. Despite my own lethargic state, I set about doing my business.

Among the various recipes, I chose the “Green Eggs and Ham á la Sam - I - Am” I discovered from the Seussville website. The recipe was as follows:


1-2 tablespoons of butter or margarine
4 slices of ham
8 eggs
2 tablespoons of milk
1-2 drops of green food coloring
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper


Wanting to make it extra special, I used more than the recommended amounts for most of the ingredients. Besides, what’s an additional tablespoon of butter for frying or a few more milliliters of fresh milk for the scrambled eggs going to do to you? For me, a yummier treat!


Faith with my version of Green Eggs and Ham


The verdict from my sleepy head family members – the reactions were quite mixed. One didn’t try the eggs, another thought they were bland, two ate it but were kind of quiet, while our youngest – Faith said “Sarap, Papa!” (“It was delicious, Father!”). It would be safe to say everybody loved my fried slices of spiced ham.

My own assessment – the green eggs were creamy and not runny but may have taste a little bland for others. To give it a little more “kick”, I recommend my course of action – an additional dash of salt and pepper or for the more intense – nothing a few drops of Tabasco® couldn’t provide.


Serve with hot pan de sal and cold fresh orange juice


Would you like green eggs and ham?

Only one way to find out…try some now!



No comments: